I want to create this effect in Affinity Designer:

enter image description here

In Illustrator i go to effects>warp>bulge

enter image description here

Is there a buldge effect equivalent in affinity?


Unfortunately, no. Envelope/Mesh warping does not (yet) exist in Affinity Designer. Here is a feature request for it:


Oddly enough, it does exist in Affinity Photo: https://www.lynda.com/Affinity-Photo-tutorials/Distorting-Mesh-Warp/453344/473863-4.html

  • oh no! how come is this thing not available, this is basic!
    – Jonhz
    Dec 11 '16 at 17:48
  • 4
    My thinking: because Affinity Designer is actually focused on illustrators, not designers. This is despite the name. Kind of like how Adobe Illustrator is focused on designers, not illustrators. The great naming irony of software... perhaps.
    – Confused
    Dec 11 '16 at 18:29
  • 1
    And actually them guys did hear us... They have "Mesh warp/distort tool" on the 2017 road map. See here: affinity.serif.com/forum/index.php?/topic/…
    – DerWOK
    Dec 17 '16 at 21:38
  • @DerWOK, it's been on the roadmap since they first released a roadmap, during the initial beta release...
    – Confused
    Dec 17 '16 at 22:39
  • It's still in Feb 2020 nonexistent.
    – user287001
    Feb 13 '20 at 3:22

You can use Affinity Photo's Mesh Wrap tool for an Affinity Design file. With the document open in AD click on the file menu, then click on "Edit in Photo…" AD will open the document in AP. Then select the layer you want to distort, and then click the Mesh Wrap tool. Be sure to do this as a last step because it does rasterize the shape. Enjoy!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.