I want to create this effect in Affinity Designer:

enter image description here

In Illustrator i go to effects>warp>bulge

enter image description here

Is there a buldge effect equivalent in affinity?

3 Answers 3


Unfortunately, no. Envelope/Mesh warping does not (yet) exist in Affinity Designer. Here is a feature request for it:


Oddly enough, it does exist in Affinity Photo: https://www.lynda.com/Affinity-Photo-tutorials/Distorting-Mesh-Warp/453344/473863-4.html

  • oh no! how come is this thing not available, this is basic!
    – Jonhz
    Commented Dec 11, 2016 at 17:48
  • 4
    My thinking: because Affinity Designer is actually focused on illustrators, not designers. This is despite the name. Kind of like how Adobe Illustrator is focused on designers, not illustrators. The great naming irony of software... perhaps.
    – Confused
    Commented Dec 11, 2016 at 18:29
  • 1
    And actually them guys did hear us... They have "Mesh warp/distort tool" on the 2017 road map. See here: affinity.serif.com/forum/index.php?/topic/…
    – DerWOK
    Commented Dec 17, 2016 at 21:38
  • @DerWOK, it's been on the roadmap since they first released a roadmap, during the initial beta release...
    – Confused
    Commented Dec 17, 2016 at 22:39
  • It's still in Feb 2020 nonexistent.
    – user82991
    Commented Feb 13, 2020 at 3:22

You can use Affinity Photo's Mesh Wrap tool for an Affinity Design file. With the document open in AD click on the file menu, then click on "Edit in Photo…" AD will open the document in AP. Then select the layer you want to distort, and then click the Mesh Wrap tool. Be sure to do this as a last step because it does rasterize the shape. Enjoy!


Like Cris-Gato above has said, but you can actually start in designer then edit in Photo, then if you apply any of the live filters from the layers panel like "sphere" for example then go back to Designer they are now available in that layer and editable, yes in designer, I believe it's because it uses the same file type in all Affinity products.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.