I'm designing some signage that will be printed and cut with a CNC machine. What would be the best color swatch to use for the lines that should be cut?
The industry standard for die-cut lines on laser cutting machines are as follows:
- Red stroke: RGB (255,0,0)
- Stroke weight: to 0.01mm / 0.25 pt
That being said, it's always a good idea to double check with the company you're planning on sending the vector files to just to make sure they use the same standards.
This may be an outdated method considering almost all production facilities have the programs to access and export the final art files as they like, but I was taught to:
- create a spot color named "die-line"
- export as postscript "seperation host-based" (include spot color "die-line")
- export as postscript "composite"
- convert to PDF using acrobat distiller
- send to production