How do I create this shape in Photoshop? It has to have the smooth lines. See example.

I know this is easy to do in Illustrator but I do not have acess to that program.


enter image description here

  • You can export as psd file in illustrator with transparent background and use in photoshop
    – atek
    Jan 23, 2017 at 15:44
  • I don't have access to Illustrator so I need a way to do this in PS.
    – Just Me
    Jan 23, 2017 at 15:52
  • this video can help you youtube.com/watch?v=RoKrjb6DAg4
    – atek
    Jan 23, 2017 at 16:20

1 Answer 1


Use the Polygon Tool

enter image description here

And set the options in the Control bar across the top of the screen before you draw

enter image description here

  • Sides (to the right of the popup options) determines how many "bumps" there are.
  • Smooth Corners ensures the outside ridges are smooth
  • Star means to inset the area between "Sides"
  • Inset Side By.. should be self-explanatory, the amount of inset
  • Smooth Indents means to round the indents as opposed to sharp angles. (you'll get more wavy, indents with this checked.. more of a point at the outer edge as opposed the "bump" look.)

With smooth indents checked....

enter image description here

From here it's more a matter of exploration. Because these aren't "live" shapes and you can't readily alter the options after the object is drawn, you will often have to guess.. draw.. delete.. refine.. draw again... and repeat until you get exactly what you are after.

So from the second circle above..... I'd need to reduce the number of sides and redraw to get closer to your original image.

Of course, there's also a custom shape already included with Photoshop.... How to make a circular zigzag in Photoshop?

(This is a 5 second thing in Illustrator which offers much more rapid editing of the shape and then could be copy/pasted as a path back to Photoshop and saved as a Custom Shape.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.