I'm using Illustrator CS5, MacBook Air, macOS Sierra. The eyedropper tool is only picking up a mixed black whenever I sample from a PDF or screenshot image.
Things I have tried:
- Restarting computer,
- Opening and closing Illustrator,
- Updated software to latest (Sierra and latest Java),
- Deleted Illustrator preferences,
- Clicking the measuring tool & a whole lot of random tools to try reset it,
- Opening Photoshop: eyedropper tool works fine there,
- Deleted stuff to make more space on hard-drive though have plenty,
- Ran my antivirus.
I've outlined it in more detail below for anyone confused with what is happening.