I have a background gradient that I imported into Illustrator, from an EPS file that I got.

I am not sure if it is actually editable. It seems to be a group with a mesh.

Is there a specific way of editing such an object's gradient or is this most likely a raster image?

Apologies for the naivety

enter image description here

  • It's not raster.. it's called a Gradient Mesh and it is vector.
    – Scott
    Commented Mar 16, 2017 at 21:34

1 Answer 1


Use the 'A' direct selection tool to click on each of the mesh points - you will then be able to change their color. This could be a tedious process, but you can lasso-select many points at a time of same color to change several points at once. If you would like to keep the color relationships in the mesh but change the overall color similar to Photoshop's Hue/Saturation sliders, you can have the entire mesh selected and then use the Edit > Edit Colors > Recolor Artwork menu item.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.