Take a look of the following screenshot:


I'd like to soft the transition between the left image and the background (red colour on the example to simplify the question).

On Photoshop, I have tried to apply gradient masks to a handmade selection and using the erase tool. The results are not good.

I'm running out of ideas. Maybe Photoshop is not good for that, and I should try Illustrator instead?

  • 1
    seems you're editing a photo, I'd say Photoshop is a better tool than Illustrator for that.
    – Luciano
    Commented Mar 30, 2017 at 12:40
  • Could you show us your attempts, and tell why your are not content with the results? Thanks!
    – Vincent
    Commented Mar 30, 2017 at 12:43

1 Answer 1


In Illustrator:

Add an Opacity Mask. It can be done in the Transparency Panel. You must have the red in the background. Draw a shape that covers the transition area. Fill it with BW gradient. My shape is only a coarse polygon.

enter image description here

Deselect option "clip", it causes global transparency outside the mask area

enter image description here

As already commented, use rather Photoshop if your worksheet has no vector art. You will save your nerves. There You can add a layer mask (=generally white, BW gradient on the selected area) and behind all must be a red layer.

enter image description here

For a good result the mask must be fine tuned manually by extremely soft brush.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.