I am making a logo in photoshop and want to add this old spotted vintage type of filter. Can anyone let me know how? Specifically the light dots on the black:

enter image description here

I'm using photoshop CS4


2 Answers 2


Scan in a texture you like, then use it as a layer mask. Google "PhotoShop Grunge Layer Mask" and you'll find dozens of examples and tutorials:


  • 1
    Or just take a photo of some cleanish concrete, and mess around with the curves/levels
    – naught101
    Aug 6, 2012 at 22:56

An alternative approach (there are several ways to do almost anything in Photoshop) would be to create a dark gray layer -- maybe H 0, S 0, B 15 -- above your shape, and clip it to that layer. Add noise (lots -- 20 to 30% or more, Gaussian). Blur slightly. Add a Levels adjustment layer and clip it to your noise layer, then work the sliders until you have the effect you want. (Hint: be extreme!) You can get a subtle granite texture, a star field or anything between very easily.

I'm pretty sure this technique comes from an old Deke McClelland tutorial that builds a versatile, changeable background using essentially this technique. I searched around for it, but can't find it currently. I do have just such a Photoshop file, though, that I use for anything from star fields to grunge to wildly colored textures. Build it once, and it's a resource forever.

  • Maybe this. Also maybe related/useful: this, this and this. Just researched for your convenience to embed in related content.
    – user29318
    Nov 20, 2014 at 6:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.