What is the industry term for this effect?

enter image description here

  • Tooltip. Citation. Notation. Zoom. Annotation. Inline help. – DA01 Aug 11 '12 at 2:45

Callout is the most common term I know of. You used it in your question. Regardless of whether it indicates a source or not, it's still referred to as a callout.

| improve this answer | |

It's a pointer

The Callout, if it is used within other text, has a "pointer" as illustrated above. It is shaded in your illustration and has a rule to give it a 3D appearance. (The red arrow is also a pointer.) If it is just a design element, boxed as you show, used for some impact; I'd call it a design element.

Usually, a callout brings the reader's attention to text that is used in the article (copy) by setting it with some sort of emphasis. There can be many different ways to emphasize a callout. Your example uses a pointer. Bearers can also be used.

If it does not repeat text within the article, it is not a callout. It is text set within an attention-getting border. As you show it without the rest of the article, it is not a callout.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.