I would like to gradually increase the pixel size of an image, going from the high resolution image (base image) to the left to a significantly lower resolution to the right as shown in the example below:

enter image description here Any ideas on how to get this done? Thanks!

2 Answers 2

  • Start with a Base image layer.

  • Copy base image layer and choose Filter > Pixelate > Mosaic set it to some middle value and hit OK.

  • Add a Layer Mask and draw a black to white gradient on the mask to hide a portion of the filter and show the base image below it.

  • Copy the base image layer again and move it above all other layers.

  • Choose Filter > Pixelate > Mosaic on the new copy and double the previous amount.
  • Add a Layer Mask on the new copy and draw a black to white gradient on the mask to hide a portion of the filter and show the two layers below it.

enter image description here

You could actually repeat these steps as many times as you want, varying the Mosaic amount each time. The more steps used the smoother the "transition" would appear to be.


Filter > Pixelate > Mosaic

Here's my base or "HD" image

enter image description here

Increase the Cell Size, until it looks pixelated enough to suit your needs

enter image description here

  • This was not the question asked
    – BlueWizard
    May 3, 2017 at 21:14
  • @BlueWizard we aren't here to hold people's hands through the entire design process. I aim simply to point users in the right direction, so they can learn the techniques for themselves. We are not a tutorial site. I don't know why my answer has been downvoted (not saying it was you) or you felt it necessary to chime in, but this is certainly how to achieve the desired effect, I just didn't include the masking process
    – Manly
    May 4, 2017 at 13:30
  • 1
    The masking is an essencial step in reproducing the effect that was requested
    – BlueWizard
    May 4, 2017 at 13:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.