Is there a way to use guides in MS Office Word and PowerPoint as you can in Photoshop? I wish to do the same in Office for moving things at a certain distance as we do in Photoshop.

guiding in photoshop

  • good question if you explain more. u mean u could drag ruler as what we use in photoshop? – sammy May 10 '17 at 11:57
  • 1
    I think you may mean Guides. Anyways View > Guides > Guides and/or View > Ruler. Now if you right click an empty spot in the document, you can add a guide by choosing Guides > Add Vertical guide. If you right click one of the existing guides the options to add guides should be at the top of the context menu. This could be slightly different in other versions. – Joonas May 10 '17 at 12:29
  • Word isn't designed to be used for layout. And PowerPoint just assumes some MBA is using it, not a designer. – Scott May 10 '17 at 18:39
  • Recipe for insanity: Word + Layout. Right there with you, @Metis OTOH, while there are a few tricks to doing print layouts in PPT, it's a decent tool; doesn't have the typographical finesse that an InDesign or the like has, but if Office is what you have, PPT is the hammer of choice. – Steve Rindsberg Jun 10 '17 at 15:46
  • In PPT you can also rightclick the shape you want to move, choose Size & Position, then use the resulting dialog box or pane (depending on version) to specify the exact position you want. – Steve Rindsberg Jun 10 '17 at 15:48

MS Office users can live without quides. They can switch on the grid that has easily customizable horizontal and vertical spacings.

Alternatively they can easily draw colored lines that can be used as quides and deleted when not any more needed. This would be impractical in Photoshop because every line needs a layer and some coloring, too.

In Office: Draw the line holding Shift =>you get exactly horizontal, vertical or 45 degrees tilted line as you want. Dragging a line holding Ctrl makes a copy.

If snap is on, the object you drag snaps to the line, if it gets near enough.

  • Why go through all that when guides are easily available in PowerPoint? I don't know or care whether they're available in Word because I've tried to do layout in Word before and MUCH prefer root canals. ;-) – Steve Rindsberg Jun 10 '17 at 15:43
  • @SteveRindsberg Layout in Word goes well as soon as one doesn't try to apply the basic typewriting, only textboxes and other inserted objects. MS Publisher is like Word without the basic typewiting. A drawn line is not more complex than taking a quide. – user287001 Jun 10 '17 at 15:55

Both Powerpoint and Publisher allow you to use guides similar to those used in Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign. I don't have Publisher on my computer, so I can't show you an example in Publisher, but in Powerpoint, you access the guides by going to the view menu, and on the "Show" portion of the ribbon, check the box that says guides.

enter image description here

The window now will show you two centered guides, one horizontal and one vertical.

enter image description here

You can add additional guides either using the method that @joonas mentions in the comments above, or by placing your cursor on top of one of the guides until it turns into a double-sided arrow, holding down the Ctrl key (for Windows-not sure the equivalent key on a Mac) and dragging the new guide where you want to put it. As you drag the new guide, it shows you the distance you have dragged it, so if you pay attention you can set up guides at specific intervals. Not as simple as in the Adobe products, but it can be done.

In order to delete a guide, click and drag the guide off the edge of your powerpoint "page." You will see the guide gradually fade away.

As I said, I don't have Publisher installed, and have tried to avoid using it whenever possible-but if I remember correctly, the guides work similarly to the way I have just described.

Unfortunately, Microsoft Word and Excel do not have any guides.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.