Where the text fills every part of the bubble.

I know this is most likely a (custom) font stretched and warped to fit in the box. I also know that there's most likely no one easy way to do it.

What I would like to know:

  • What the style is called?
  • How you would handle doing something like this (in the fastest/most efficient way possible - which program to use, AI or PS).

I'm not necessarily talking about the flame, just in general where the text is stretched to fill the whole bubble.

Maybe this has to be hand drawn?

enter image description here

  • Not every kind of graphic has a name. It's just a speech bubble, shaped like a flame. It's a bit weird if I'm honest, or should I say unique. @Vincent has given you a tutorial!!
    – Billy Kerr
    May 16, 2017 at 13:06

1 Answer 1


My first guess would be to hand draw this, but you might have some success using an envelope distort in Illustrator.

  1. Type and layout your text;
  2. Convert to outlines: Type > Create Outlines or Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+O;
  3. Ungroup all text objects: Object > Ungroup, multiple times until no groups remain;
  4. Select all text objects and make them into one compound path: Object > Compound Path > Make;
  5. Create a version of your speech bubble with the tiny details removed. In the above example, a flame shape made with 4-6 anchors should suffice;
  6. Have the simplified bubble shape sit above the text compound path in the Layer order and remove its outline and fill colours;
  7. Select both the simplified bubble shape and the text compound path and choose Object > Envelope Distort > Make With Top Object

If your success is limited, making an envelope distort with a Mesh rather than a template object might also work. It's really a case-by-case thing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.