I'm looking for a name for the effect when there's a layer over another layer so that one of them always adjusts so that it has always the opposite shade of spectrum. So I want a title to look black on white backgroundand black on white background.

the OA poster

2 Answers 2


The top layer has the blending mode 'difference'. I don't think there's an official name, but I'd call it a 'difference effect'.


I think it could be, Inverted? Negative?

The way I would do this is taking te text as a mask and invert the curves, so the image is a negative.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.