Is there a standard list of names for different arrowhead shapes?

I don't mean Indian/Native American arrowheads, I mean arrowheads that you would find in clipart, visio, adobe, word, etc.

I just can't find anything. Some are open, some are plain triangles, others have wedges cut out of the back, the variations are endless. I'm hoping that there is some sort of standard names for these arrowhead shapes so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

  • 2
    There are names for different arrows in fields such as mathematics and flow chart diagrams, but not in design as far as I'm aware. There would be far too many options for them all to have a distinct name.
    – Westside
    Commented May 25, 2017 at 15:58

1 Answer 1


So, taking a clue from @zach-saucier, I started searching for flowchart and math symbol names which eventually led me to good 'ole Latex. Latex is a way of embedding math notation into documents: word, pdf, wiki, etc.

It's a start.

Latex defines a set of arrowhead names:

  • latex
  • latex'
  • stealth
  • angle 60
  • etc

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.