What's the name that classifies this style (the black rounded lines)?

enter image description here


I've also made a variant without actually knowing what it's called.

enter image description here

  • 4
    not everything has a name
    – Luciano
    Jun 22, 2017 at 8:05
  • 1
    Technically not actual design, but illustration
    – Lucian
    Jun 22, 2017 at 10:41

4 Answers 4


Most of the time it's refered to as The Rounded Wavy Pattern, but it has no real name as far as I know.

It was used for the first time, or at least its popularity started in 2013 with this illustration by Nina Geometrieva :

Meteor by Nina Geometrieva

(Dribbble shot)


There is not a specific word in my knowledge. But you can make it in very easy way, 1.Just select what shape you want to have strips on it 2.make two groups of strips with rounded corner one with the same color as your shape and other with 100% transparency 3. Now add colored strips with your shape and difference transparent strips from your shape

  • I think this designs style is called vanilla design
    – Kartik
    Jun 22, 2017 at 7:14
  • Yes I know how to make it, the last (dribbble) shot is mine but I was just confused that I don't know what to call it tbh
    – Zanic L3
    Jun 22, 2017 at 7:16

You could call this a "gooey line illustration". Not many relevant images come up if you search for that, but you can get a lot of examples and tutorials if you search "CSS gooey effect".

enter image description here


I don't think it has an official name in the way that "plaid" does, but "rounded lines pattern" will turn the pattern/style up more often than not.

  • 1
    @Danielillo I disagree with your flag as "not an answer" Sep 25, 2018 at 13:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.