I'm looking for a serif font similar (ideally, identical) to this one from p. 206 of the PDF Reference, 6th edition, 2006:

Contour only Times

It looks like a Times contour, but I'm not sure.

  • What PDF reference is that? – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 29 '17 at 8:44
  • @JanusBahsJacquet: This one. If it helps, I'm only really interested in the letter 'n', and only in the rather large size seen in the illustration above. – Evan Aad Jul 29 '17 at 8:46
  • 1
    Couldn't you simply use a Times font, add a stroke and fill white? – Billy Kerr Jul 29 '17 at 9:53
  • @BillyKerr: Maybe, if I had a clue how to do it. I should add that this glyph will then be subjected to programmatic transformations, and should behave like a normal vector font would under these circumstances. – Evan Aad Jul 29 '17 at 9:59
  • What software do you have? It could be done easily in Adobe Illustrator or the free software Inkscape(dot)org - both are vector image editors. – Billy Kerr Jul 29 '17 at 10:05

Stone Serif Semi Bold Regular seems to be a perfect fit.


enter image description here

The stroke on the letter is .3 if you are trying to replicate that as well.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    I'm sorry, no. This glyph is clearly bolder than the screenshot the Asker posted. Moreover, the shape of the top of the stem is flat in your answer, while it's curved in the question. – Vincent Jul 31 '17 at 15:17
  • Thanks. This is very close, but I don't think this is it for two reasons. (1) In Times New Roman the top of the upright part is straight and horizontal, whereas in the glyph I posted it is slanting and a little curved, (2) In Times New Roman the "legs" are slightly thicker than the space between them, whereas in the glyph I posted it is the other way round. Nice try, though. – Evan Aad Jul 31 '17 at 15:17
  • 100% Correct, I updated my answer with a better fit! – Ovaryraptor Jul 31 '17 at 16:01
  • Thanks. This is perfect! You don't happen to know if there's an outline version of this font, do you? – Evan Aad Jul 31 '17 at 19:16
  • Sadly it doesn't look like there is. Your only option is to manually expand the font to then stroke it. – Ovaryraptor Aug 1 '17 at 3:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.