I'm looking for a way to do that type of blur with Photoshop.

Anybody ?

enter image description here

You can find more examples on Wiz's Instagram account.

  • What type of blur? The only blur I can see is the natural lens blur of elements that were not in focus when the photo was taken. Commented Aug 10, 2017 at 20:29
  • Can you show us what you've tried and why you didn't like the results? Thanks!
    – Vincent
    Commented Aug 11, 2017 at 9:52
  • The simple answer is "use an instagram filter". Appears that filter is trying to emulate a cheap polaroid camera. I'd suggest some color tweaks, a bit of gaussian blur, and blow out the contrast a bit.
    – DA01
    Commented Aug 11, 2017 at 19:44

3 Answers 3


Filter -> Noise -> Median

Then create a second layer that's 50% gray. On the gray layer do Filter -> Noise -> Add Noise. Change this layer's blend mode to Soft Light and lower the opacity.


It looks like this was an instagram filter and whoever designed the filter seemed to be trying to emulate a cheap polaroid camera with aged film. The tell-tale signs being a poor lens (ie, the blur), blown-out contrast, and a bit of yellowing (as the film has aged).

There's likely dozens of different ways to handle this. Here's one example I did quickly:

enter image description here

From the top-down:

  1. Original photo.
  2. Added a bit of Gaussian Blur
  3. Tweaked the saturation, brightness and hue using the Hue/Saturation adjustments.
  4. Adjusted levels to add some final contrast/brightness tweaks to it


On second read, I realize you were maybe asking specifically about the 'granular' aspect of the blur. I imagine there are also a dozen ways to handle that as well. In this example, I used the Crystalize filter and overlaid a copy on top and adjusted the opacity.

enter image description here

  • I agree with the update, I think that filter helps with the effect since it looks like the original photo looks like it was taken with a phone. It gives it that low quality effect.
    – AndrewH
    Commented Aug 11, 2017 at 20:58

It's not a blur. There's a Glass Distortion Filter and plenty of JPG compression artefacts. The artefacts probably are not wanted, but they come when high compression is used.

In Photoshop the distortion filter can be found from Filter > Distort > Glass. The displacement texture is a low contrast, nearly 50% grey grain, which can be made from a flat grey fill with Filter > Noise > Add noise. Its used with Glass distortion filter as loaded texture, so save it into a PSD file to be able to load it.

Example of the texture:

enter image description here

The resulted glass distortion:

![enter image description here

Here the JPG artefacts are added generously. The image is compressed to about 80% smaller filesize.

enter image description here

  • 2
    why did you cover the eyes of Mr. Rinne its not like he can be anonymized
    – joojaa
    Commented Aug 11, 2017 at 5:28
  • 2
    @joojaa I did not want to leave a possiblity for someone to claim that I am the one who had edited his eyes to be untrustable
    – user82991
    Commented Aug 11, 2017 at 5:44
  • Many people would claim that he as a politician is untrustable by default
    – joojaa
    Commented Aug 11, 2017 at 6:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.