I just want to create a simple gradient from 1 color to another - the only difference is, is that I don't want a smooth gradient. I want a gradient with those fancy thicker than normal stop lines, where you can see that it's still a gradient but you see the 'not smooth' transition to the end color. I don't really know how to explain - so I've attached a link to a picture that goes from light gray to darker gray. Is it done with a setting or with double gradient overlaying each other? What's the best practice for this? and how can I reproduce this effect in Illustrator, mind as well tell me how to do it in Photoshop please :)

image with gradient background

  • Are you talking about the diagonal "banding" that goes across the image producing about 20-30 "bands"? Commented Aug 12, 2017 at 20:22
  • Yes that's the one
    – mXX
    Commented Aug 13, 2017 at 8:13

1 Answer 1


If you are using Photoshop, you could switch to Indexed colour mode, and reduce the number of colours to a low number like 17 or so, ensure dithering is set to none, then switch back to RGB mode.

enter image description here

If you are using Illustrator, you could simply edit the gradient, by adding more stops, and adjusting the midpoint of each stop.

enter image description here

  • Thanks! I was able to reproduce it in Illustrator. Also tried it in Photoshop, but between every stop/band - I get noise, it's not a straight line. Same settings as you posted, but when looking at your image, it has the same.
    – mXX
    Commented Aug 13, 2017 at 8:14
  • 1
    @mXX Yeah, but I suppose you could try making a stepped gradient in Photoshop too.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Aug 13, 2017 at 10:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.