In my free physics textbook on http://www.motionmountain.net , there are hundreds of images, all made with Illustrator CS 11 (yes, from around the year 2010) in eps format. But the new Illustrator has become unaffordable, even more so for a non-profit organisation. How can one edit such .eps files now?
My attempts in the last days (August 2017) gave these results:
- Corel Draw: does not seem to exist for OSX
- Xara Designer Pro: does not seem to exist for OSX
- Affinity Designer: has a trial version; but one cannot edit the text in the .eps files coming from Illustrator CS; font sizes are wrong.
- AutoCAD LT: the trial version cannot open .eps files
- Inkscape: able to edit text in .eps files, but saved .eps files garble the result and the font, wrong when imported back to Illustrator.
- McGimp: does not seem to be able to edit text from Illustrator .eps
What is the best way to proceed? Is this summary wrong in some cases? Or are there better alternatives?