How do I make the word Virgo transparent so it shows the background of this image (background is obviously transparent)? I am using Photoshop.
- Hold down control and click the thumbnail of the layer with the text on it in the layers palette. (Or "select" > "load selection" > "ok") The "marching ants" will appear around your text, indicating you have made a selection.
- Hit control + shift + i to invert your selection. (Or "select" > "inverse")
- Highlight the layer with the artwork.
- Hit the layer "Add layer mask" button at the bottom of the layers palette.
- Turn off, or delete, the layer with the text, since at the moment it is the layer which is "filling" your newly created hole :)
Alternatively, you can avoid making a layer mask by simply making your selection, highlighting your art layer and hitting the delete key, but that's seen as a "destructive" way to work, and is not the recommended approach. (Again you'll have to hide, or delete your original text layer to "reveal" the hole)