I was watching a tutorial on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGOjbuOKpI0)- Skip to minute 2:33;

The artist is suddenly copying and skewing a shape - the dark background shape - at the same time. Here's a gif to show exactly what I'm referring to:

enter image description here

As far as my knowledge goes in Illustrator, I can skew a shape by using the the Shear tool. First I have to set a reference from which the shape should be skewed/ sheared.

I've tried searching in Adobe documentations and questions, but never found an answer. How does he do it?


Switch to the Free Transform Tool (e) and hold down the Command/Ctrl key when dragging a handle.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • I tried with Ctrl, but it does not work! Without holding Ctrl it works well like it should I guess, am I doing something wrong? – AndrewMk Sep 4 '17 at 16:19
  • @AndrewMk Depending in you're on Apple (CMD) or Windows (CTRL), not both at the same time – curious Sep 4 '17 at 17:00
  • @Emilie can I ask.. does a Windows keyboard have a Command or CMD key? I didn't think they did. – Scott Sep 4 '17 at 17:01
  • @Scott No CMD key on Windows. All shortcuts involving CMD are converted to CTRL on PC. But since Apple has a CTRL I can imagine the standard CMD/CTRL formula can become confusing if someone is novice and on Apple as it might suggest the need to press both. – curious Sep 4 '17 at 17:52
  • Well Apple has "control" not CTRL.. always lowercase and never abbreviated to "ctrl" -- I was curious because I don't want to be overly confusing :) I can see your point.. it's more about Windows users moving to Apple since CTRL is called "Control". Thanks! – Scott Sep 4 '17 at 17:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.