This is a fairly common print method and it probably has a name. How this is achieved is useful but it's name is more relevant.

half tone example

  • Possible duplicate of Anybody knows how to achieve this effect? Sep 21, 2017 at 7:25
  • @H.W.Sanden Not a duplicate! Your candidate wanted a method for a complex line effect, the current questioner wants the name of halftoning method. Not denying the red-black coloring is nearly the same and even less reason has sometimes been enough for a closure.
    – user82991
    Sep 21, 2017 at 9:18

1 Answer 1


In old newspaper printing systems it was line raster autotypia.

In Photoshop you can use the halftone screen function:

  1. convert your image to greyscale

  2. goto Image > Mode > Bitmap

  3. select Halftone Screen, keep the original pixels/inch

  4. select line pattern, line angle =45 degrees, only a few lines/inch

An example (= a gradient and random lines)

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 1
    This made my eyes bleed slightly. Sep 21, 2017 at 9:53
  • 1
    @DigitalLightcraft Good idea! maybe this can be used to persuade people to buy new eyeglasses or eyewash.
    – user82991
    Sep 21, 2017 at 9:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.