I am trying to determine the general name for this kind of sketch. I've been calling it a frame sketch or a ball-and-stick sketch for some time now, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong (especially since that would get really confusing with animation).

Kangaroo sketch enter image description here

Does anyone know if these actually have a name, or should I just keep making stuff up?

  • 1
    Geometric Anthropomorphic Minimalist Expression (G.A.M.E.) ? I don't know. This is a good question.
    – Confused
    Nov 5, 2016 at 7:21

2 Answers 2


I would call this a character wireframe. Googling for that term gives images like this:

enter image description here

enter image description here

These are often used in "How to draw X" tutorials.


What about simply step-by-step drawing. Google search step-by-step drawing and draw steps

enter image description here

  • 1
    There is an explicit 'do not distribute' message in that second image. Are you sure you want to release that into our copyleft license?
    – Vincent
    Jan 28, 2019 at 21:18
  • I think this is not any kind of distribution, just a copy link from the source page and I'm not selling it. Maybe I'm wrong.
    – user120647
    Jan 28, 2019 at 21:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.