I saw this effect of concentric circles discretely fading out (background of the image one).

I thought this was a circular gradient (radial-gradient).

But other images didn't seem to have a similar effect when I searched the term.

Flutter Logo

And another similar image that I saw uses the same kind of effect but it is not circular.

Image 2

Click for full size

Then I thought the effect I'm looking for was discrete color gradient. Which lead me to this page.

Is there a standard name for this kind of effect?

  • 1
    you're not asking about the gradient, you're asking about the "banding" effect in both these gradients, right? Because you already know the second one is not a radial blur, and the colors are not so discretely fading out, there are these "steps" between colors. Is that what you want to know?
    – Luciano
    Jul 1, 2019 at 7:14
  • Yes, that's what I want to know. The effect on the background which you're referring to as the "banding" effect. Jul 1, 2019 at 12:28

1 Answer 1


I'd normally call it an undesirable artefact caused by high data compression or low bit-rate [see colour banding], but try 'posterisation' for an intentional method..

The first one I'm sure is unintentional colour banding, the second looks like true posterisation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.