A number of fonts (Gotham, Vera, Nexa) have an uppercase M where the middle V shape doesn't touch the baseline. In many (most?) other fonts, that shape does touch the baseline. Is there a formal or informal term for this difference (à la "two story a")?


You could call the V shape in a letter M the "vertex".

On Identifont they use this terminology, and call the V shape in the M a "centre vertex".

They describe it like this

enter image description here

The upward pointing corners of the M are sometimes called an "apex", so technically, the M only has one vertex, so there's no need to call it a "centre vertex". You could just say "the vertex is above the baseline" to describe it.

  • 2
    I was going to post the exact same content, but I took too long browsing through Identifont before this question popped up ^^'
    – Vincent
    Feb 4 '21 at 17:24
  • While the apex is the highest point, a vertex is simply a corner. There are three vertices in M, so there is a need to specify which vertex you're talking about -- even though only one is actually capable of touching the baseline. You certainly couldn't talk about "the vertex". Feb 4 '21 at 20:35
  • Not so sure about that @AndrewLeach - there's a glossary here on fontsmith.com which specifically says the vertex is "The point where two strokes meet at the bottom of a character".
    – Billy Kerr
    Feb 4 '21 at 20:40
  • I offer you a differing definition (see sense 2). Also, if you're designing a font, then the geometry definition becomes important. Feb 4 '21 at 20:43
  • @AndrewLeach in normal English, I would agree a vertex is any corner. But typography uses some technical terms in different ways from normal English usage. This might be an example of that. - other examples are "foot", "flag", "ear", etc. Some aren't even English, "Halbfett" for example.
    – Billy Kerr
    Feb 4 '21 at 20:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.