Lately I've been seeing a lot of backgrounds of webpages having a pattern like this:

Example image

Seems like a trend to have such a background for a webpage. Does anyone know what is this called? If possible, please also simply advise how to go about creating it, thanks a bunch!

  • just make those icons in illustrator and import or copy paste and make it a brush a pattern brush and use it
    – atek
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 14:21
  • google.co.uk/…
    – Jenna
    Commented May 16, 2017 at 20:45
  • It repeats the elements and shapes, so I think it's a rapport pattern or tileable background Commented May 25, 2017 at 18:36

1 Answer 1


It's just a tileable (or repeatable) background, made from simple line art. It has no special name.

This is really a very broad question, so I can only give a very broad answer.

If you are asking how to draw simple shapes in Photoshop, have you tried using the Pen tool or the Shape tools to make simple graphics? You can apply a simple stroke to a shape in Photoshop. If you don't know how, there are tutorials online that show you how to use the Pen tool in Photoshop.

Photoshop is not really the ideal software for this kind of thing, but it would do at a push. It would be easier to use vector image editing software such as Adobe Illustrator or even the free software Inkscape(dot)org.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.