What style of illustration is this? It appears to be like an old style but I haven't been able to find a name for it. Despite the text on the image, it's not "vintage".


enter image description here


1 Answer 1


It's a style of line art which simulates relief prints made from a woodcut or linocut - where a piece of wood or linoleum was carved/gouged out with carving tools, then the surface inked, and a print made from it.

You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodcut

These methods of printing were used for illustrations/prints before the advent of photography or photographic etching techniques for printing. It was all done manually and was a highly skilled trade. Of course, there are still artists who create such prints in the same way even today.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.