Is there a name for this type of material flow chart?

Are there any tools to automate or partially automate the creation of these charts? Or are these created manually in a program like Adobe Illustrator ? enter image description here


1 Answer 1


This looks like a sankey diagram. You can read more about it here.

  • And in specific this is an example of the subset of Sankey diagrams which is called an "alluvial chart" of memory serves. There's a list of SW for this kind of thing on the Sankey Diagram website (it's a .org I think) which has paid desktop apps, website based apps (both free and paid) and there is at least one iOS app for making these too. Apr 25, 2019 at 16:48
  • Welcome to Graphic Design SE. Please edit your question to add some information beyond the name of the type (e.g., as commented by Gerard Falla). As it stands, your answer relies a lot on that link.
    – Wrzlprmft
    Apr 27, 2019 at 7:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.