I have photographs of rectangular images that I would like to "flatten" so that they are truly rectangular, rather than the distorted view that comes from a photograph. I know this is something I should be able to Google, but I can't think of a technical term to describe what I mean (it's the process that scanner apps routinely do, essentially "flattening" the photograph).

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tool (perhaps within Illustrator or Photoshop) that will easily take an angled photograph of a rectangular poster and distort it to become a true rectangle again, please?


1 Answer 1


I don't know Illustrator, but in Photoshop you would use the Perspective Crop Tool

enter image description here

Drag a rectangle from one corner to the opposite, then grab the other corners & move into place.

Ignore the quality of the shot, very high iso in dimly lit room & I don't have anything you could describe as a 'poster' on my walls ;)

enter image description here

Which gives you…

enter image description here

  • 1
    I always forget about the perspective crop, it really is exceptionally useful!
    – Alith7
    Jan 11, 2021 at 16:13
  • @Alith7 - As I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on SE squaring up other people's phone snaps of their on-screen computer errors, I do get to use it quite a lot ;)
    – Tetsujin
    Jan 11, 2021 at 16:16
  • I can see that! LOL
    – Alith7
    Jan 11, 2021 at 19:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.