This is my first attempt to design a font. I'm using Affinity Designer (latest version) on an ipad, and Adobe Illustrator 2020, and FontForge (latest version) on a Macbook Pro. I exported the glyphs: a, b, c, d, e, f, and g as separate svg files from Illustrator to FontForge. On the individual glyph editing screen, they each looked like FontForge understood them. However, when I used the metrics window to preview, only the b, d, and g showed up. The other letters were entirely blank.
Things I tried:
- Exporting them as eps files instead of svg
- Exporting them as pdf files instead of svg
- Exporting them as svg, eps, and pdf files in both Illustrator and Affinity
- Using the "simplify" tool in Illustrator before exporting
- Looking for similar questions and solutions online
I get the feeling it has something to do with the "hammered metal" look confusing FontForge, but I feel like there should be some way to make that work since that's what I'm going for in the design.
Since I'm new to this, it's very likely there's some option either in the exporting or the importing that I have to adjust.
Any help would be appreciated if anyone knows how to get FontForge to read the file uploaded below (the "a"):
Thank you and please let me know what else I can add to make this clearer!