What is the name for those lines used in place of words, for example in a cartoon contract? Sometimes they're straight and sometimes they're wavy.

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


"Dummy" Or "Greek"

or a combination of the two.. Dummy greek, dummy greeking, dummy text, greeked text.. etc.

Lorem Ipsum is often used to dummy text rather than using a series of lines. Lines look like, well, lines. Using Lorem Ipsum (or similar) helps the text still look like text, even though most can't read the Latin text (since Latin is a dead language).

  • 1
    ah -- thanks! Greeking was the terminology I was using. (hard to search when you don't know what it's called!)
    – Jason S
    Commented Sep 10, 2023 at 17:41
  • Yeah, you have to include either "dummy" or "text" when searching. Otherwise you just get a lot of stuff related to Greece. :)
    – Scott
    Commented Sep 10, 2023 at 17:44
  • 2
    @VladimirCravero according to the linked WP article, the link was discovered around 1982, and published in 1994, significantly more than "a few months ago" ;) "The discovery of the text's origin is attributed to Richard McClintock, a Latin scholar at Hampden–Sydney College. McClintock connected Lorem ipsum to Cicero's writing sometime before 1982 [...]. McClintock first published his discovery in a 1994 letter" Commented Sep 11, 2023 at 16:15
  • 1
    What do the Greek call it? Αγγλικά?
    – AndreKR
    Commented Sep 11, 2023 at 16:37
  • 1
    thanks @Zhaph-BenDuguid for correcting me; I think I mixed up the sources dates and the actual dates :D Commented Sep 11, 2023 at 17:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.