I am trying to get an animation effect of a ball moving under a blanket with some resistance or a round object protuding out of a flat surface. Below is what I've been able to do so far and what I want to achieve. For now I've used a different colour for the ball to make things a more visible.
I hope I'm understanding your question correctly. Here's a video of what I would do.
- Create a shape that simulates material drooping over the ball using the pen tool:
- Click on the top edge of the blanket shape and pull a handle out horizontally to the right
- click on a point halfway up the ball
- finish the shape, making sure it overlaps the ball
- Copy the shape and transform > reflect (vertically)
- Position these shapes to merge seamlessly with the edge of the ball
- Merge the shapes using the pathfinder tool
- Use that shape as a symbol in front of the blanket. As it's the same colour as the blanket, viewer won't be able to distinguish it as a separate shape. It will appear as though the blanket is being distorted.