I'm trying to make the bottom edge of a layer curved / look like waves.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve but it is just hand drawn: (image no longer available)

As you can see, the curve is not symmetrical. What tool or method is guaranteed to get a perfect symmetrical, consistent curve along the edge?

  • Hello. Your image went down; do you think that you could replace it please? Stack Exchange has an image uploader; I'd advise using that.
    – Mithical
    Mar 7, 2017 at 12:50
  • @Mithrandir: Apologises, that image was uploaded 5 years ago, I don't have it anymore - but it it was essentially like the images you see in the answers except the curves were hand drawn.
    – caesay
    Mar 7, 2017 at 13:12

2 Answers 2


Start off with a layer with "solid box"

( It helps if all the sides you don't want to turn into wavey lines, are at the edges of the document. )

enter image description here

Then go do Filter > Distort > Wave

Important parts in the filter options:

  • Number of generators: 1
  • Type: Sine

You can go nuts with the other sliders.

enter image description here

End result:

enter image description here


You can create this with adobe illustrator. enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.