I am searching for a way to make a blurred object in Adobe Photoshop like the image I've made in Adobe XD with the Background-Blur tool.

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


Here's one simple method. There may be others . . .

  1. Create a copy of the background layer, and apply some Gaussian blur to it.

  2. Use the elliptical selection tool to make a circle, then add it as a layer mask

  3. Add a layer above, fill it with white, reduce the layer opacity to something like 50%, then clip it to the blurred layer below

  4. To move the circle around, select the Move Tool and switch off Auto-Select in the tool options along the top, select the layer mask, and unlink the mask from the image


enter image description here

  • 2
    Alternatively, make the background layer a Smart Object before duplicating it, so any changes will reflect on both automagically.
    – Luciano
    Commented Nov 25, 2019 at 11:06
  • @Luciano Absolutely! This would also be especially helpful if the background image itself was in fact a layered image that might need edited in the future.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Nov 25, 2019 at 11:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.