I've been on a search for a while now but I can't figure out the term for this design element. I'm not even really sure what to look up. I tried going through terms associated with typography but no dice. You find it used a lot in vintage texts like newspaper ads and wanted posters where identical symbols would be used on either side of a large bold text to create emphasis. Sometimes the symbols would be stars, sometimes dots, and sometimes these sharp darts. enter image description here

2 Answers 2


Flourishes, ornaments, fleurons, dingbats, embellishments.

Basically any term which describes additional, possibly unnecessary, ornamental, items. There's no real specific typography term.
(Except perhaps dingbat which designates a font file containing non-alphanumeric glyhs.
And fleuron generally refers to more "flowery" ornamental glyphs.)

In the sample image, the rules above and below are as much flourishes, ornaments, embellishments, as the diamonds.

  • My brain has been expanded with wonderful new terms today like "fleuron" and "line-shaped dinkus" due to this answer. Thank you.
    – ZarHakkar
    Oct 24, 2022 at 22:48
  • 1
    Never heard "dinkus".. that seems like a jovial term. 😀 Looking it up, dinkus seems to specifically refer to three asterisks in a row. So now, you've also expanded my terminology. 😃 I forgot fleuron.. added to answer.
    – Scott
    Oct 24, 2022 at 22:57

The rules above and below (of which there are fancier versions) are also sometimes referred to as dividers.

  • 1
    Yes, but it appears the question is not about those.
    – Lucian
    Oct 25, 2022 at 11:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.