I don't know if this a right place to ask, but... basically, I want to make my photos look like photos scanned from old newspaper with flat colors and scratches. Here is few examples what I mean:

Brazilian Field

Brazilian Spider


Thank you.

  • Did you try Posterize and Add Scratches, in that order?
    – Jongware
    Aug 8, 2016 at 22:57
  • @RadLexus hi yes, I try it, I feel I'm close. Any tip to reduce the noise? Aug 8, 2016 at 23:41
  • this is the right place to ask. Would be better if you edit your question to include your own results as well so we can help you where you are stuck
    – Luciano
    Aug 9, 2016 at 9:01

2 Answers 2

  • Decrease Saturation if image is colored.
  • Adjust the lightness and curve adjustments to set the contrast
  • Posterize the image in a new layer
  • Select the Shades of grey [:P] and smooth-en the selection and paint in the selection in a new layer.
  • Add another layer of curve adjustment for finishing touch.

Hope that helps.


Here what you can do in photoshop -

1.Convert the image you want the effect on to black and white

2.go to Filter > Artistic > use the filter "colored pencil"

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.